Living without a smartphone seems nearly impossible! Meanwhile, it is a constant companion. No matter whether it’s in your purse or in your trouser pocket – it is omnipresent. Many even take it to the bathroom. Of course, constant accessibility has advantages, too. But, have you ever thought about the disadvantages? Maybe you are suffering under pain in the neck (smartphone neck)? Or have you been searching the internet for a neck support pillow? You are not alone!
The “danger” of a smartphone
Smartphones clearly have disadvantages, too. Besides constant availability they have further negative impacts on our health. On the one hand via electromagnetic pollution and blue light of the screen. On the other hand, the so-called smartphone neck arising due to the constantly forward bent head when looking at the smartphone.
Did you know, that when bending your cervical spine by 15 degrees forward the strain on your spine almost triples? Instead of four to five kilos, a pull weight of about 13 kilos affect our spine. The more you tilt forward, the bigger the strain! Smartphone users mostly lower their head by 45 degrees. Here, the pull weight of the head is more than 20 kilos.
The consequences are painful and range from pain in the neck via head ache, tickling sensations in the arms and hands up to problems with breathing and digestion.
5 simple hints for a smartphone neck
- It is important to strengthen your neck- and shoulder musculature. Sports like swimming and walking are perfect. But, Pilates and yoga, too, might be helpful.
- Back gymnastics additionally strengthen your back muscles.
- There are several simple neck exercises you can integrate in your everyday life.
- Try to tilt your head far less when looking at your smartphone. Better hold your smartphone slightly higher.
- Try to limit the strain on your cervical spine during the night. Here, a neck supporting pillow might come in handy. Besides other orthopedic pillows, SAMINA is offering a special neck pillow. This reliefs your shoulders and supports your head at the same time. Like this, tensions in the neck- and shoulder-region are eased resp. avoided.