A healthy lifestyle is accompanied by healthy sleep. Especially during times when our body and mind are exposed to additional and stressful situations we need sufficient and healthy sleep. Because, sleep is inevitable for the human organism. During sleep vital processes that are completely different than those while being awake take place in our body. Here, sleeping quality is playing an important role just like sleeping duration. But, numerous people have difficulties to fall asleep or even suffer under sleep disturbances. Therefore, Prof. Dr. med. h.c. Günther W. Amann-Jennson recommends the following:
- Try to cover your personal sleep need. Take sufficient time for sleeping. Integrate the SAMINA sleep-healthy-concept into your lifestyle.
- Try to create a regular sleep-wake-cycle by getting up and going to bed at about the same times every day. Here it is helpful to know and to consider the own chronotype as well as the individually needed amount of sleep.
- Get a bed with a comfortable mattress, a comfortable cover and bedding in which you are feeling well and in which you have comfortable nights.
- Try to optimize your sleep surrounding. The ideal room temperature is from 61° to 64° F. Remove all electrical devices from your bedroom. Care for peace and darkness.
- Try to plan your dinner early enough and avoid heavy meals. Prefer light food that is easy to digest.
- Avoid stimulating beverages like coffee or other caffeinated beverages before going to bed.
- Also do without alcohol before going to bed. Alcohol supports falling asleep but makes sleeping through difficult.
- Plan your physical exercises early enough. Exhausting sport increases circulatory and rather keeps awake instead of makes tired.
- Create sleep-friendly days with relaxation exercises, breathing-techniques and yoga. Create your personal “go-to-bed-ritual”.
- Announce your bed to be a quiet-zone. Ban TV, computer, tablets and mobile from your bedroom.
- In the morning after getting up, enjoy a glass of water to balance your natural water balance. During the day, take in a lot of fresh air and sunlight.
- Be cautious when using sleeping pills.
- Don’t hesitate to contact a doctor when sleep disturbances are not due to temporary mental strain, physical diseases or unfavorable influences of the surrounding.
It is important to clarify the causes for fall-asleep- and sleep-through-disturbances with your doctor to be able to take the proper treatment measures.
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German
Leave a Reply