Pregnant women often get the advice to get a lot of sleep and rest during pregnancy. Because, once the baby is born the time of blessed night’s rest is over for some time. But sometimes that’s not that easy. On the one hand, falling asleep with a constantly growing baby-tummy gets harder every week. Furthermore, possible worries about the baby’s health and about the forthcoming birth might make sleeping through hard. And, not to forget about physical challenges like cramps in the calf, back pain, swollen legs, or bladder weakness might be side effects of a pregnancy. And surely disturb sleep. Especially during the last third of pregnancy phases of deep sleep decrease and waking at night increases.
Prevent troubles in the back and the intervertebral discs
There is no patent solution for a symptom-free pregnancy and a regenerative sleep. But, Prof. Dr. med. h.c. Günther W. Amann-Jennson has some supporting tips for mothers-to-be to prevent back pain. With an appropriate bedding-system most back pain can be easily avoided. The interaction of mattress and slat-frame has an essential role. Here it is especially important, that the mattress-slat-frame-system cares for the support resp. relief needed. Especially heavy positions like the pelvis and hip should have the possibility to sink in. A specially designed nursing pillow cares for relief, especially when lying in lateral position.
Tipps and tricks for good sleep during pregnancy
- If you can arrange it with your job and your time schedule, take a power nap in early afternoon. Here, pregnant women will find relief and rest.
- During pregnancy, too, movement in fresh air is important. Soak up sufficient day- resp. sunlight and stimulate serotonin
- Drink sufficiently during the day, preferably unsweetened herbal teas and water. Avoid any kind of caffeine during pregnancy.
- At night, care for sufficient darkness in your bedroom.
- Instead of lying awake at night it is advisable to get up or to read a book. But, care for dim light.
- During the first third of your pregnancy you can get used to sleep on your left side. This sleeping position supports the supply of the baby and the womb. And, for the kidneys it is easier to remove waste products.
- Magnesium prevents from cramps. Ask your doctor for the appropriate dose.
- Light evening meals relief digestion and support sleep.
- Are you suffering under heartburn? Best wait one or two hours after eating before lying down. Position your head slightly higher.
- A fragrant bath or contrast shower helps you to relax and is perfectly preparing for sleep.
- Don’t let vivacious and bizarre dreams unsettle you. Especially during the last third of a pregnancy the occurrence of such dreams can be concentrated. In these dreams, you are dealing with your thoughts, sorrows, fears and feelings connected with your pregnancy.
It is advisable, to stick to your relaxation rituals after birth. Once your baby is born you surely want to catch up lost night sleep during the day.
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German