About 80 % of all humans are affected by sleep disturbances. Sleep disturbances not only lead to concentration disturbances and decrease of efficiency. In long term, they might negatively affect quality of life. Lack of sleep increases the risk for numerous serious illnesses, like diabetes, depressions or cardiovascular diseases. Read more about 9 useful hints to prevent sleep disturbances.
Detect and prevent sleep disturbances
You are having problems to fall asleep at night? You are lying awake for a long time during the night? You are sleeping eight hours but still are not feeling well rested?
9 hints that prevent sleep disturbances
If you follow them, you will fall asleep relaxed and are going to improve your sleeping quality:
- Care for a well-balanced nutrition. Avoid fatty, large meals in the evening. Our body would be busy with digestion. As a consequence, phases of deep sleep would be shortened. But, these phases are important for physical and mental regeneration. Furthermore, the immune system is strengthened during deep sleep.
- Avoid alcohol consumption. Alcohol is favoring falling asleep but it disturbs sequence of sleeping stages and leads to a restless sleep. Besides an increased urge to urinate, sweating and snoring, alcohol also might lead to bad dreams.
- Caffeine negatively affects our sleep. Try to avoid it a couple of hours before going to bed.
- Try to do sport on a regular basis. Already a short evening-walk in fresh air favors falling asleep. But, exhausting workouts right before going to bed are not advisable: this stimulates your circulatory and falling asleep will be harder.
- Try to finish physically and mentally exhausting work early in the afternoon and let your day end peacefully. Let stress and hectic of everyday life behind you. Relaxation techniques like yoga or autogenous training might come in useful.
- Rituals for falling asleep are not only useful for babies and infants.
- Create a pleasant atmosphere in your bedroom. For being able to relax completely, ban all technic devices from your bedroom (TV, tablet, smartphone). Also, re-locate unfinished work like work papers or ironing.
- Besides the atmosphere, the room-climate also is important for a restful sleep. The ideal room-temperature is from 61° to 64° F, the perfect humidity is from 40 to 60 %.
- One sleeping phase lasts about 90 minutes. You will feel more awake when waking up between two phases of sleep. Try to set your alarm clock