For babies the sleep environment, too, plays a significant role when it comes to healthy, restful sleep. A good sleep environment optimally supports regeneration and development of your child during the night. Here, it is important that your child doesn’t get too warm (i.e. with a too warm blanket) resp. that the breathing is not hindered. Following, find some hints for baby’s perfect sleep environment.
What to consider for baby’s perfect sleep environment
- Sleeping position: During the first 12 months, place your baby on its back for sleeping. Thus, your baby has maximum freedom of movement with arms and legs. Also, breathing is not obstructed. Except are cases, in which babies must lie prone due to therapeutic reasons. Should your child prefer the prone position consider the following:
– Place your baby on an underlay that prevents from sinking in.
– Don’t use a pillow. This prevents overheating and a tailback of breathing air (inhaling the own breathing air).
– Use a baby-sleeping-bag instead of a cover.
- Sleeping in parents’ bedroom: Place a cot in your bedroom. Like this, your baby will feel sheltered and comfortable. Furthermore, your regular breathing noises positively influence your baby’s breathing regulation. And – not only for your baby it will be advantageous, when the bedroom is smoke-free. By the way: this applies for any room in your home.
- Room climate and air circulation: Regular ventilation and a room temperature of 16° to 18° C are the base for an optimal room climate. Also, a humidity of 40 – 60 % is important.
- Cover and pillow: A baby-sleeping-bag is advisable during the first 12 months. This prevents from unintentionally blocking the breathing. Then, a light cover and a flat pillow are advisable. Pay attention to use natural materials.
- Bedding: Your child is spending some time in bed. Therefore, it is essential to pay attention to a toxic-free bedding. Here, nature-like materials that assure an optimal regulation of humidity are advisable. A mattress made of natural rubber and sheep wool and cotton for all items with body contact are advisable. Bio-active sheep wool has a climate-regulating effect and therefore cares for a dry and warm bedding climate.