Causes for colds, head ache and tensions
Outside, the temperature rises above 30 degrees Celsius, inside, air conditions and fans care for the cooling needed. But, be cautious: at first glance it seems pleasantly and cooling. But, the consequences might be rather unpleasant. Often, the arising draft leads to colds and tensions in the neck, shoulder, and back.
When muscles cool down
Admitted, open windows and doors, fans and air condition at first lead to the cooling longed for. But, the arising permanent draft cools down the muscles, as a consequence they harden. Normally, our muscles interact, but, since cooled down muscles work differently than warm muscular regions, the muscle hardening leads to an imbalance. Tensions in the neck, shoulder, and back – sometimes even painful – are the consequences.
Colds due to draft
When your throat gets in contact with draft, the temperature of the pharyngeal mucosa lowers. The mucosa dries out and in consequence is insufficiently protected from pathogens. Colds arise.
Protection from draft
- The easiest way is to avoid draft. In public transportation or in an open-plan office it might be difficult to do so. Here, a stand-up collar or a scarf might produce relief.
- Don’t tune your air condition lower than 20 degrees Celsius, when the outside temperature is more than 30 degrees Celsius.
- Avoid constantly changing from a cooled room into an uncooled one. This would stress your circulation.
- When using a fan care for sufficient distance and short-term use.
- Are you driving in your car? It’s not advisable to drive with an open window when sweating. And, when using the air condition don’t put on the highest level. Also, let the vent face away.
- Airing in the morning and in the evening lead to a perfect room temperature. But remember: airing leads to draft, too. So, better leave the room while airing. How to air correctly.
Treatment of tensions due to draft
Use an orthopedic pillow. This correctly positions your cervical spine and allows the tensions to release.
Warmth of a hot-water bottle or a cherry pit cushion helps to ease painful tensions.
Compresses are a perfect meant to ease tensions, especially curd- and linseed-compresses. Further household remedies
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German
Leave a Reply