The menopause is a time of changes – physically and mentally. Like always, in times of a crisis restful sleep is the best support for overcoming a pending physical and mental change and the demands of job, household and family. But unfortunately many women in the menopause suffer under sleep disturbances.
Something women have experienced several times in the course of their lives thanks to menstruation cycle and eventual pregnancy and nursing: hormonal changes influence the sleep rhythm. Especially during menopause the fluctuations of sleep influencing hormones like estrogen and acetylcholine are very pronounced and disturbances to fall asleep and to sleep through might arise.
Frequent accompanying factor: hot flushes. The following process seems to be preprogrammed: excessive sweating – removing the duvet – getting cold – waking up. Then, falling asleep again becomes difficult due to the hormones and the excessive brooding that often occurs in this phase of life.
Here, the proper bedroom climate (not more than 61 ° to 64 °F) as well as a material that has a temperature regulating effect represent a significant relief. Sheep wool has the characteristic to absorb developing humidity and to release it into the surrounding air. The result: a cuddly, dry and warm bedding climate.
It’s not easy to relax after a day full of duties and appointments. A quiet evening walk, a light dinner or relaxation exercises (Yoga, autogenic training, meditation etc.) are a good basis for decreasing the level of the stress hormone and to slowly but surely calm down. Furthermore, music therapy softly supports falling asleep relaxed – especially when circling thoughts disturb sleep.
Do something good for yourself
But, apart from eventually additional strains this special period also opens the door wide for positive change in your life:
- Time for yourself: take small steps and start with reserving 15 minutes during the week for yourself. But, it is important that you keep the appointment with yourself! You will notice how it feels to regularly do something for yourself. By the way: extension desired and advisable!
- Discover nature: movement in nature is extremely beneficial and relaxing. Furthermore, there are numerous natural aids with a positive effect on hormonal changes, relaxation and sleep.
- Clear out: clear out your house and apartment. Remove all things you don’t need any more – and be generous! But, also scan your everyday life. Which duties and responsibilities are really important? Could possibly someone else do one thing or the other?
- Power nap: at lunchtime, indulge in a break and fill up your batteries with a power nap. But be careful, that you are napping before 3.00 p.m. and that it only lasts up to 30 minutes.
- Preconditions for sleep: care for the necessary preconditions to reach a restful sleep.
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.
Image source: @fotolia
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German