Often, depressed people are sad. But, sadness is not the only symptom of depressions. And not always sadness has to be a depression. Confusion might have severe consequences.
People who classify their sadness as “non-significant” but actually suffer under hidden depressions most likely won’t consult a doctor. People concerned who misinterpret their sadness and believe to suffer under a depression might overreact and unnecessarily put themselves under stress. Therefore, it is very important to know how to distinguish sadness from depressions.
Everyone has sad times in their lives – that is nothing unusual, either due to a loss, concern or insecurity. Sadness is a normal human emotion and can express itself in the form of low spirits or discouragement. However, a depression belongs to mental diseases and has to be accompanied by a doctor. Depressions, too, influence the world of emotions of people concerned. But, in contrast to “simple” sadness, there often is no recognizable trigger. Outwardly, the lives of people who are concerned seem to be normal and intact. The affected person is feeling depressive inside. Depressions include all areas of life and massively influence the behavior.
Check the following points. It is advisable to seek medical advice if they are true in your life:
- Weakness: Everyday work like taking out the trash becomes a torment. You have absolutely no power to cope with this task.
- Self-doubt: You question your own work and actions. You are caught in a vicious circle – without energy, you won’t be able to escape by yourself.
- Emptiness: Often, emptiness and sadness are mixed-up. But, inner emptiness is more intense than sadness, complete hopelessness spreads. Even the idea of feeling happy sometime again seems impossible.
- Concern: Feelings of anxiety may appear in different forms and intensities. This might even go as far as suicidal thoughts.
- Physical pain and symptoms: Loss of appetite, head ache, nausea but also sleep disturbances or a feeling of pressure in the chest might indicate depressions. The indications are manifold but they all lack an underlying physical cause.
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.