The most important task of a pillow is to ergonomically position the cervical spine. To avoid a bend in the neck, the pillow should neither be too high nor too flat. Since the neck carries the whole weight of the head it is important that it gets supported by the proper pillow. Otherwise, a tension of the in everyday life heavily stressed part of the body is preprogrammed, including well-known consequences like tension headache, pain in shoulder and neck.
Here some criteria for an easy selection of the proper pillow:
• The pillow may not be too large. To effectively support the neck only the head and the neck-area may rest on the pillow, by no way the shoulder-area.
• Our neck is a fast sweating part of the body. Here, sheep wool with its quick humidity-absorbing-characteristic is a perfect material.
• Consider your own preferred sleeping position:
– Side sleepers. By the way the most preferred sleeping position, almost two thirds sleep on the side. They need a pillow that fills in the shoulder- and neck-area. Take care, that the pillow is not too soft. Otherwise it won’t have enough support strength.
– Back sleepers. For the relief of the neck-area, back-sleepers need a pillow that fills in the area back of the head / neck. Consequentially the pillow should not be too high.
– Stomach sleepers. Often, this sleeping position is a strain to your spine and its musculature. In this position, you are facing downwards resp. your head has to be turned on the side for breathing. This often leads to tensions in the spinal region. Thus, for stomach sleepers it is very important that the pillow is flat.
Only these few criteria show that there is not one pillow that fits all! Everyone sleeps different, every neck and body structure is different. Out of these reasons, SAMINA has developed a wide range of different, orthopaedic pillows.
It is important that you test your pillow before purchase. Best is to sense, whether the pillow is pleasant in each sleeping position, that it is neither too high nor too flat, that your neck-area is well supported –- whether you are feeling comfortable with the pillow. A good specialist counselling is more than helpful. Contact us, we are looking forward to accompany you on your way to your proper pillow!