Are you suffering under problems to fall asleep or to sleep through? This has not to remain the same! Counteract with some simple tips and tricks. Sleeping expert Prof. Dr. med. h.c. Günther W. Amann-Jennson advices:
Problems to fall asleep? This may help:
- Balanced diet: Make sure your nutrition is healthy and well balanced. Your body is not able to relax when your stomach is too full; digestion would need too much energy and time. Therefore you should eat at least three to four hours before going to bed.
- Drinking: Pay attention to your water balance and drink sufficiently throughout the day. Drink at least two liters of water per day. From late afternoon on, avoid drinking caffeine-containing beverages. Coffee, black tea and cola have a negative impact on sleep.
- Movement: Sport is healthy. Care for sufficient and regular exercise. Sport helps to keep the work-life-balance. But, the time is decisive: sport stimulates and activates the nervous system. Tiredness occurs only later. In the evening you should plan a moderate program.
- Regular sleep-wake-rhythm: Rhythm is decisive! Therefore, try to stick to a regular sleep-wake-cycle; every day, go to bed at about the same time and get up at about the same time.
- Relaxation exercises: Care for breaks! Relaxation exercises like yoga or autogenous training help to let go of every day’s hectic. Your body and mind relax. Falling asleep becomes much easier.
- Sleep surrounding: Create yourself a comfortable well-being-oasis. A dark bedroom, a room temperature between 61° and 64° F, sufficient airing as well as a comfortable and natural bedding content are an absolute must.
- Bedroom and bed: The bed is no working zone! TV, computer and smartphones disturb restful sleep. Electromagnetic pollution is a hidden sleep disturber and diminishes sleeping quality. Use a sleeping underlay that supports your back and relaxes your musculature at the same time.