Our physical and mental shape have a significant influence on sleeping disturbances. A totally healthy elder person has no more sleep disturbances than a young person. Sleep disturbances in the age are easy to be solved. A change in behavior is inevitable. In long term, they care for a healthy and restful sleep. Read more about how to improve the sleeping quality in age:
Change in behavior and sleeping hygiene
Changes in behavior and an appropriate sleeping hygiene support a healthy and restful sleep. These include
- regulated daily routine
- avoidance of outer disturbances
- avoidance of mental and physical strain
Regulated daily routine
A regulated daily routine positively influences healthy sleep. Besides used activities like showering, getting dressed and eating the following aspects have to be considered:
- stick to a regular sleep-wake-rhythm (constant times to get up and to go to bed)
- regular exercise and sports (e.g. a short walk every day)
- fresh air and sunlight (light influences the sleep-wake-rhythm)
- siesta for about 20-30 minutes, not later than 3 p.m.
- cultivation of social contacts (meet some friends, attend an old folks meeting)
Avoidance of outer disturbances
Due to the fragile sleep, outer disturbances often cause sleep disturbances. Following read some tips to avoid these disturbances:
- Darken your room, e.g. with shutters to avoid disturbance from incoming light.
- Noise, e.g. your snoring partner, can interfere with sleeping through.
- Ideal sleeping temperature is between 61° and 64° F.
- A bedding content caring for a proper positioning enables a perfect mental and physical recovery during sleep.
- Avoid heavy meals three to four hours before going to bed.
- Caffeine-containing beverages (coffee, black and green tea, etc.) as well as alcohol disturb sleep.
Avoidance of mental and physical strain
Anxiety and sorrows often lead to thoughts go round in circles. Falling asleep is becoming harder and harder. Follow the following hints and get out of the carrousel:
- Soft music, a good book or a good talk with a partner or friend help to relax.
- Write down your sorrows. This frees your mind.
- Relaxation techniques like yoga, autogenous training or progressive muscle relaxation support relaxation.