Sleep doesn’t equal sleep. Sleeping quality makes the difference. We have to have a good sleep to recover during night. Nothing should be left to chance. During the cold times of the year, too.
Sleeping expert Prof. Dr. med h.c. Günther W. Amann-Jennson advices to support sleep with some simple measures:
- Room temperatures: Be careful that your bedroom is not too warm. The ideal bedroom temperature is between 61° and 64° F, independent from the temperatures outside.
- Fresh air: Care for sufficient fresh air. Periodic ventilation is perfect. Don’t forget to close the window again.
- Several layers of clothing? The sleeping expert advises against too much clothing during night. It is warmer when the air surrounding the body warms up beneath the proper blanket. But, due to hygienic reasons be sure to wear suitable nightwear made of natural fibers.
- Comforters: Is the blanket too warm you start sweating. A humid and warm bedding climate arises. Especially synthetic material supports this effect. Sheep wool on the other hand cares for regulated thermal conditions. The humidity is absorbed and released into the surrounding air.
- Cold feet: You know the feeling of icicles? Cold feet lower seeping quality and reduce phases of deep sleep. A hot footbath before going to bed is helpful. Sheep wool products support the warming effect.
- Hot water bottle: You feel rather cold, in general? Preheat your bed with a hot water bottle. Place it in your bed about 30 minutes before you go to bed. Like this, your bed will be comfortably warm when you go to sleep.
- Open window: Totally open or just tilted? An often discussed matter. To stop discussion: when it’s cold outside, neither nor is advisable. The cold and dry air from outside cares for a dry mouth and throat. The mucous membranes are less supplied with blood. The immune system is weakened. Hoarseness and sore throat will arise.
- Sleep-wake-rhythm: Stick to your used rhythm during winter, too. Even when it’s tempting to stay in bed when it is still dark outside.
- Light: In the evening, avoid bright light with a high share of blue. This has an activating effect. In the morning on the other hand, use every source of light in your house or apartment.
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.