Never suffer from cold feet or a subtropical bedding climate again – no problem with the suitable bed equipment.
- Care for your room climate. Your apartment or your house is heated during wintertime; but the room temperature of your bedroom should be between 16 and 18 °C. For persons who chill very easy 20 °C at maximum. In any case avoid a room temperature exceeding 20 degrees – this would negatively influence melatonin production.
- A mattress overlay not only protects your mattress but also protects from cold from below. Preferably the overlay is filled with sheep wool.
- For a harmonious bedding climate an appropriate comforter is necessary, too. Synthetic materials or common eiderdown support a humid-warm climate and favor the habitat of dust mites. Sheep wool products support a warm but dry climate. This deprives the dust mites from its livelihood.
- Depending on need of warmth resp. respiration the filling of the sheep wool cover can be different.
- The size of the comforter is decisive. We are turning about 80 times, each night. When your body size is 180 cm it is advisable to use a blanket in the size of about 160×210 cm to avoid being uncovered.
- We are losing the most heat via our head. Therefore it is important to care for an optimal pillow. A sheep wool filling not only keeps you warm but also absorbs surplus humidity and releases it to the surrounding.
- It is important that your pillow prevents the bend in the neck and that it optimally supports and positions the cervical spine. Otherwise, pain in the neck and tensions might arise.
- Our nightwear as well as the linen are significant for a good bedding climate, too. A cover filled with sheep wool can’t work efficiently when the linen is synthetically. Therefore care for natural materials, preferably cotton.
- A further contributor for optimal bedding climate is your bed frame. It should be easy to air and able to “breath”.
- Generally, your bedroom has to be ventilated daily. Right after getting up and/or before going to bed.
- Tilting the window only favors heat lost but is doing nothing for air exchange. A wide open window on the other hand cares for a quick air exchange and minimizes heat loss.
- Too low temperatures in your bedroom are not good as well. Is the temperature too low, the air can absorb too few moisture. That means: for living rooms at least 18 °C and for bedrooms at least 16 °C are ideal.
- To enable the rest humidity to escape beddings always should be fluffed. Of course you can put your comforter into the open window for airing. Dust mites dislike sub-zero temperatures.
Personal advice of sleeping expert Prof. Dr. med. h.c. Günther W. Amann-Jennson:
“Our sleep and our health depend on each other. Therefore it is especially important to have a good and restful sleep. Healthy sleeping already starts during daytime. To perfectly prepare for the night it is important to have a healthy nutrition, sufficient exercise, day- and sunlight, a balanced water management, sufficient rests as well as a positive attitude towards life. All these factors favor regenerative sleep.”
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German