Instruction on proper power napping
A nap during the day enhances performance and cares for new power. To optimally take advantage of a power nap a short time to fall asleep is beneficial. Here, you can learn how to fall asleep easier and faster and how to wake up well rested after 10 to 20 minutes.
- Choose the right time: The perfect time for a short nap is between 01.00 p.m. and 02.00 p.m. If you are napping too late (after 03.00 p.m.) your restful night-sleep might be disturbed.
- Choose a comfortable seat- or laying-possibility: Principally, your power nap can take place everywhere. It only is important that your comfortable seat- resp. laying-possibility allows you to assume a comfortable posture. In the office, this might be your office chair, your parked car or – at home – your couch or bed.
- You don’t have to waive your coffee after lunch: Enjoy your coffee after lunch with a clear conscience. The effect of the caffeine starts about after 20 minutes. The perfect timing for terminating your power nap.
- Care for darkness: Darkness enables faster falling asleep. Try to darken the room where you want to power nap. Or use a sleeping mask.
- Care for a pleasant background noise: If you belong to the people who need complete silence to be able to fall asleep, try earplugs. Otherwise, calm and relaxing music supports falling asleep.
- Care for the proper room temperature: The ideal room temperature for healthy sleep is 61 ° to 64 °F.
- Fall asleep quickly with relaxation techniques: Different relaxation exercises like Autogenous Training, Yoga or progressive muscle relaxation according to Jacobsen support faster relaxation and falling asleep.
- Set an alarm clock: To avoid falling into deep sleep, set an alarm clock. After about 15 to 20 minutes you should wake up. When you practice power napping regularly you are going to wake up by yourself after this period of time and won’t need any alarm clock.
- Stimulate circulation after waking up: Climbing stairs, drinking a glass of lemon water or stretching exercises – they all stimulate circulation and you will come alive faster.
- Soak up the sun: Light signalizes your body that it is time to wake up. After a nap it therefore is advisable to shortly soak up the sun. If this is not possible a bright interior lighting with a high share of blue light can be helpful, too.
Like with most things in life the same applies for a successful power napping: exercise and regular “use” will lead to the best results!
Receive further information in our sleep-healthy-guidebook “sleep yourself young, fit and successful”, free of cost.
This post is also available in / Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in: German